Pages

Saturday 25 February 2012

An almost fruitless Feb outing

After an outrageously busy week at work, it was time to enjoy myself and do a bit of birding. After last weekend's decent visit to Summer Leys , I thought I'd give there a bash first of all.
The sun was out but there was a bitter old chill to the slight wind. Started by looking for the Corn Bunting(s). Despite the usual dollop of Yellowhammers and a few Linnets, there was no sign of any Buntings.




There was plenty of birds around, in particular a decent amount of Fieldfares and Redwings along the first section of the lane. There was a general feeling that things were gathering ready to leave for there breeding grounds with Wigeon and Goldeneye gathering into larger groups. With very little of note around I made it my mission to get some photos of the more common birds knocking around. With the light behind me I managed to get some good shots of various things on the scrape from the double decker hide (pretty chuffed with the male Mallard shots):







A couple of Shelducks were on 'Eddie's Island' seen from the screen hide but other than that, Summer Leys was really lacking anything of note so I turned my attentions to the small gathering of Wigeon and Gadwall feeding in front of the screen hide.






After having a good look around, I still had a couple of hours to play with so thought I'd go to Pitsford to see if I could rustle up some year ticks.
There had been a Curlew recently seen North of the Causeway but despite me having a good look around I couldn't come across it, nor any Ruddy Ducks. There were plenty of Tree Sparrows around the feeding station which was encouraging. The only birds of any note were a pair of Goosander distantly in Walgrave Bay.








With the search for anything good proving fruitless I thought I'd have a look on the south side of the causeway. There's been Brent, White Fronted and Pink Footed Geese all at some point at Pitsford amongst the resident Geese so thought I'd pick through them all. This wasn't to be, however as I was searching through them what should pop up on the water in front but the wintering Slavonian Grebe. I watched it for a bit and managed a very dodgy photo though was difficult with it diving so bloody frequently!



After that it was home time and England v Wales!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...