Pages

Friday 22 November 2013

Bucknell Wood & Kingfisher

Yesterday (21/11) I spent a couple of hours walk in Bucknell Wood. I love walking around there and I tend to visit quite regularly. The place really reminds me of going round Salcey Forest when I was a youngster about 10-15 years ago; so unspoilt and you barely see a sole there. You really feel like you have the place to yourself. Sadly now Salcey just isn't the same.
Back to the wildlife and I really had to work to find anything. Eventually I did find some Crossbill, however failed to properly give them the once over. I had the briefest of views of 3 in flight, followed by several more calling, all very much obscured by dense woodland.

First thing this morning (22/11) I went back to track these Crossbill down, really keen to find my own local Two-Barred or Parrot. I stomped miles through the horrendously muddy rides, however no sign. There were a couple of flyover Redpoll sp, a smattering of Siskin, 2+ Raven, good numbers of Bullfinches & Redwing & 2 Roe Deer. The undoubted highlight though was the suprise find of a very confiding female Kingfisher around the small pool on the southern edge of the wood.



















I must have watched it for at least 45 minutes. It caught 2 fish out of a total of 5 attempted. 40% success rate! It was fascinating to watch it. It would take the fish to a thicker branch, really bash it several times on the branch and then swallow it whole. Was brilliant to see some behaviour I'd never seen before.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...