Pages

Monday 27 July 2015

Purple Emperors

On Saturday 11/07 I was playing cricket at Upper Benefield in the north of Northants and this coincided nicely with the Purple Emperor emergence over at nearby Fermyn Woods. So, for the morning I had a good wander round.

I'd walked no more than 50 yards from the car before a male Purple Emperor tantalisingly circled the path for a short while before zooming off to some nearby oaks. Good sign!

Walking around in the early morning sunshine, I managed to see several Emperors either on the paths (including a freshly emerged female), or zooming around the treetops.


















A couple of White Admiral, several Silver-Washed Fritillaries and a smart Marbled White also showed themselves. What was a particular highlight though were my first confirmed sightings of White-Letter Hairstreak with several on view in Lady Wood. While they were pretty high up, I still managed to get some very decent binocular views.



















I enjoyed these little beauts for a short while before it gradually clouded over, signalling my time to head off to the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...