Pages

Tuesday 1 September 2015

Borough Hill in the rain

Typically, bank holiday Monday (31/08) was a complete washout weather-wise, but having the day to myself, I was determined to get out and do some birding.

I drove over to Borough Hill, Daventry in the hope of some migrants. The conditions, needless to say were f**kin shocking but thankfully I was rewarded for my efforts with an initial flyover Tree Pipit heading south. Towards the centre of the hill another Tree Pipit again went south calling however only heard and not seen this time. I soon got onto a Whinchat followed soon after by another 5 which was nice.

Further north is a hedgerow going from west to east across the hill. This, I've always found to be great for migrants. Despite the conditions, persistance produced a group of 4 Spotted Flycatcher, 2-3 Willow Warbler, a Blackcap, a possible very brief Redstart and another 2 Tree Pipit that landed in the hedge for a short while before continuing south.


Tree Pipit


















No hoped for Wryneck, Pied Fly etc, and in hindsight, heading to one of the highest points in Northants on a day of torrential rain seems like madness but, I was happy despite the soaking wet feet I now had to endure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...