Pages

Wednesday 14 September 2016

August round-up

I've rather neglected the blog recently so here's a bit of a round-up for August.

Most of my birding time has been spent paying regular visits to Grimsbury Res, close to where I work. It's been enjoyable getting fully back into the swing of patching.

August is generally the best time for gulls at the res and this year has seen a decent run of Yellow-Legged Gulls of varying ages, interspersed with the odd Med Gull, including a ringed adult on 10/08. Unfortunately the ring was a small metal one that I just couldn't read.























Passerine highlights have included a lovely Tree Pipit, grounded on the 25/08 and multiples of RedstartWhinchat & Wheatear.






















Other highlights have included a juvenile Black Tern (the 3rd year running I've seen the species here), a lingering juvenile Ringed Plover and two lovely juvenile Black Tailed Godwit on the evening of 08/08.























Away from Grimbo, I have paid a couple of visits to Otmoor for the now long-staying Purple Heron, a long-staying juvenile and a lifer for me. Gareth and I managed views on the gloomy evening of Monday 08/08, while Dan and I also gained brief but rather distant views on Sunday 14/08. Both times, not even a hope in hells chance of getting a photo!

The 14/08 also produced a few other birds of note at Otmoor, including distant views of the two GCP Cranes, Redstart, 2 Whinchat, 6 Mandarins, views of a juvenile Water Rail & an obliging Common Lizard.








Summer Leys was somewhere I hadn't visited for a while so I popped in on Sunday 21/08, after visiting my parents near Northampton. Bird-wise, there was nothing spectacular about, although I did enjoy watching a couple of Hobby hunting in tandem to try and catch a Sand Martin. Despite failing, it was fascinating behaviour to watch. Green & Common Sands were present, however by far the highlight of my visit was a monsterous Privet Hawkmoth caterpillar trundling across the path near to the screen hide. An amazing looking beast!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...