Pages

Wednesday 19 July 2017

Bee Eaters

On Sunday 02/07 I had planned with Dan Watson to head to the Notts / Leicestershire border, to see the group of Bee-Eaters now in situ at a quarry close to the village of East Leake.

Unfortunately, Dan couldn't make it in the end. On what was a very hot day, I headed out late morning for a leisurely stroll locally, looking for butterflies. The heat was making me feel lethargic and lazy! Could I be bothered to go for the Bee-Eaters?!

In the end, knowing I was pretty busy for the next couple of weekends, I decided to go for it! Plus, the reward would be seeing Bee-Eaters, after all! 



I'm very much glad I did, despite the M1 50mph average speed zone taking what seemed like forever!!

I parked up and headed to the RSPB viewpoint. Soon after, I was enjoying some great scope views of up to 6 birds, albeit looking into the sun. They were very vocal during my time there and were also feeding regularly. They of course, captured quite a few Bees, but also several dragonflies, which was entertaining watching them trying to get them down the hatch!

It had been not far off 10 years since I last saw Bee-Eaters, in Southern Spain and these were my first in the UK full-stop.




After a good hour of enjoying the spectacle, it was time to make the journey home and brave the M1 once again. A great little outing...I may be back!  


1 comment:

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...