Pages

Wednesday 27 September 2017

Red-Necked Phalarope

The last 3 weeks ago has really hotted up on the birding front. After what seems like forever, we have finally experienced some easterly winds producing the first couple of waves of Yellow-Browed Warblers to the coast, together with a decent sprinkling of other scarce migrants.

There has been a slight upturn in wader passage too, most notably a pretty decent wave of Little Stints, as well as a small influx of Red-Necked Phalaropes, pretty much exclusively all juvenile birds. Inland, they are a valuable commodity, so when one turned up at Farmoor Reservoir (Oxford) last week, I was really hoping it would hang on to the weekend. By Friday evening it was still in situ, so regardless of any news, I decided to head to Farmoor first thing Saturday.

It was a pretty dull, cloudy morning, however was pretty mild. Soon after my arrival, I checked the Oxon Bird Log website to find it had already been reported...excellent!

I made my way round F2 to the Causeway, grilling a couple of flocks of Tufties on route for the recently reported eclipse drake Scaup. No luck.

As I approached the causeway, it was pretty clear where the Phalarope was, with a huddle of birders / photographers peering over the concrete edge on the northern side of F2. I joined the gaggle and was immediately treated to an exquisite little juvenile Red-Necked Phalarope. It was noticeably smaller and more elegant that it's close relative the Grey Phalarope, a species still very fresh in my mind following that cracking Grimsbury bird.




















I spend a good hour watching the RNP, probably no older than a month or two and totally unperturbed with everyone's presence, as is generally the case with Phalaropes. It's plumage was very fresh and while not exhibiting the wow factor of a spring adult, I think they still look super smart with that dark smudge through the eye and almost golden stripes down the back. To see one so close was a real treat, particularly being only half an hour from home.



While there, also eventually picked up the long-staying juvenile Shag, out on a raft with a bunch of Cormorants. There were also several Yellow-Legged Gull loafing about, 2 Common Sandpipers and a striking, partially albino Coot. A really enjoyable visit and certainly one of my birding highlights of the year.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...