Pages

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Invasion of the monster Finch!

This autumn will long be remembered for the unprecedented numbers of Hawfinches reaching our shores. This appears to be in part at least, due to some kind of failure in their food resources in eastern Europe, forcing them to move North & West.

Sightings were initially, almost exclusively flyovers, mostly through the South midlands, where numbers were hitting 100 from some of the higher watchpoints...often before midday!

Sightings are now far more widespread, and searching any suitable habitat, particularly around Hornbeams & Yews, their two favourite sources of food, is quite likely to prove successful.

I was keen to join in on the invasion, which began while Em & I were out in Asia. After a week or so back in the UK I was yet to connect with one, despite sightings across the midlands still going strong. So knowing my house is on a fairly high point in the local landscape, I decided to get a bit of early morning vis-miging in before work each day.

My first go failed to produce any Hawfinch however I was very pleased with a couple of garden ticks in the shape of a Little Egret and a small group of Golden Plover over, as well as a Brambling and very decent numbers of both Chaffinch and Redwing.

My persistence soon paid off on the morning of Tuesday 31/10. I picked up the distinctive sharp flight call of a Hawfinch. I frantically looked around to see 3 birds heading high-ish west...Redwing...Redwing...HAWFINCH! I was understandably chuffed, what a mega garden tick!














The next day, yet more excitement ensued with a pair, followed by a single Hawfinch going through, again West. Finally Monday 06/11 again provided two further singles. 

Since then, I made it my mission to find some more settled birds locally. Surprisingly quickly, this also paid off, with the discovery of several birds around Thenford Church, between Brackley & Banbury. It was an area I suspected could be productive, with plenty of mature Yew trees here, as well as lots of large, parkland trees around the adjacent Heseltine estate. 





















The birds have proved to be quite a crowd puller for local birders, however due to their elusive nature, several have gone home disappointed. They certainly aren't the easy things to catch up with due to the extensive amount of suitable habitat and getting decent photos has proved tricky! They do though appear to still about, with up to 6 seen most days within the last week. Fingers crossed they are there for the winter!























No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...