Pages

Tuesday 25 September 2018

It couldn't happen again...could it?!

This week saw the first autumnal gales of the year and as such, attention turned to the possibility of displaced seabirds. With such rewards in my mind, I've spent quite a lot of time on the Grimsbury Res patch.

Following the remnants of tropical Storm Florence earlier in the week, Storm Bronagh soon arrived on Thursday 20/09 & Friday 21/09, with strong westerly / north westerly winds hitting the UK. This one got things going and a good number of Grey Phalaropes began popping up all over the place.



Finding a Grey Phalarope at Grimsbury Res last September was so exciting but surely it couldn't happen again could it?! Well, both early morning, before work and on my lunch break, I drew a bland on finding pretty much anything to be honest. But, seeing how many Grey Phals and other seabirds were continuing to be found elsewhere, I persevered and visited again about twenty past five, after work.

On reaching the res, I began scanning and quickly found a Polish-ringed Black Headed Gull on the pontoon. Further scanning along the east side produced a small, gleaming white shape towards the SE corner. It soon moved and turned...a Grey Phalarope!!






It wasn't possible to view it from the E side as the view along this section of shoreline is blocked by a long stretch of concrete step. So it took a while, but eventually it ventured out into unobscured shoreline allowing myself and local birder Steve Holiday to enjoy this characterful little juvenile/1st-winter. I hadn't realised he wasn't around for last year's one, so it was great Steve got to see this one.







Gareth & Colin arrived too and having watched the bird for a while, we went on to see a decent supporting cast before dusk, including 6 Golden Plovers through, 1 Hobby, 1 Little Egret (scarce here) & c5 Yellow-Legged Gulls into roost.

The next day, (Saturday 22/09) I just had to go back to see the Phalarope again and so arrived nice and early. It was very much the calm following the storm, however still produced some interesting birding. There was unfortunately and rather surprisingly, no sign of the Phalarope, though under cloudy skies, there was a lot of overhead vis mig between 07:25 - 09:40. A total of at least 453 Meadow Pipits moving S was very impressive, as were 35+ Siskins in dribs and drabs, though there were certainly more than that, with many more distant calls heard. A flyover Yellowhammer was a welcome patch year tick, probably my last Yellow Wagtail of the year went S and a Snipe zoomed through NE.

More than satisfied with what I'd seen, I decided to get home for some breakfast with the stomach rumbling! On leaving, I looked back one last time to see a species of tern rapidly dropping out of the sky! I marched back and was pleased to find it was a beautiful adult Arctic Tern. Get in! I sat and enjoyed it elegantly floating up and down the reservoir for a while and then it really was time for some food! My fourth patch year tick in 2 days...very good times!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...