Pages

Saturday 30 March 2019

Whoop whoop!

On Wednesday (27/03) I bumped into Grimsbury Res regular Jim. He mentioned that someone had showed him a picture of what appeared to be a Whooper Swan, present on the Borrow Pit, Banbury back on the previous Sunday.

I only get up there occasionally as I never have quite enough time. However on Wednesday evening, I decided to head up past the reservoir and along canal, to take a look after work. A long shot but you never know!

On arrival, there were no Swans in sight, however about 15 minutes later, a group of swans flew in from the nearby fields and amazingly, amongst them was indeed a Whooper Swan!



I sat and watched it for quite a while as it drank and caught flies from the water's surface. It even called a couple of times.


My instinct it is 2CY bird with the yellow not quite as bright as you would expect from an adult. One thing that is for certain, is that it is a very scarce bird in this area, so a great thing to see and 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...