Pages

Sunday 31 May 2020

A tentative twitch

On Saturday 16/05, news broke of a 2cy male Red-Footed Falcon NE of Northampton at Kinewell Lake, Ringstead GPs. This would be a great county tick and a cracking looking bird too.

I was due to head over to see my parents (from a distance I may add) at their home near Northampton, so the timing couldn't have been better! I headed straight to Ringstead pretty quickly, slightly apprehensive as to the social distancing aspect of a twitch - though as it turned out, all was well.

Of course on arrival, the bird had disappeared. Always a crap moment as you're stood waiting, hoping for the bird to appear, while others nearby chat away happily, very content with their Redfoot experience, no less than 10 minutes previous!

The bird had been hawking low over the water after insects, together with the local Black-Headed Gulls. When I arrived the cloud had given way to some warm sun and so the insects had risen, along with the Red foot! As luck would have it, some more welcome cloud rolled in and soon after, I thankfully picked up the Redfoot cruising low over the water from the east. Get in!



Views were good but I decided to head around the other side of the lake, for some closer views. I managed to find a suitable fisherman's bay that looked out onto the bird's back and forth flight path. I then soaked up very enjoyable views of a fantastic bird - one of several to hit UK shores at this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...