Pages

Tuesday 12 October 2021

Petrel shortage?

A rare opportunity arose to see a Northants Leach's Petrel as one was discovered at Pitsford Res on the morning of Saturday 02/10.

'Dropping and running' to see a bird isn't very compatible with my life as a relatively new dad. But as luck would have it, we were due to be heading in the direction of Northampton and a little diversion was duly negotiated!!

Thankfully it evaded the local gulls and I was immediately onto it from arrival, roughly two thirds of the way along and north of the causeway. It was fairly distant to begin with but a bit of a nudge from a local Great Crested Grebe and then a far more persistent Common Gull, allowed for much closer views, albeit at the expense of a good chunk of the poor little Leachy's energy resources.

Another 2021 county tick for me and actually only my third Leach's ever so a very worthwhile visit - even more so as I missed the worst of the rain!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...