Pages

Sunday 3 July 2022

Garden Foxes & a Hummer!

We're very lucky to have up to four Foxes on show every evening on the school playing field next to our garden - lured in by a nearby neighbour putting food out for them. While I have mixed views about feeding them, I can't deny it is really fantastic to see them everyday and be able to watch their behaviour and interaction, at very close quarters.

Generally, the light is quite dim by the time they're active, however more recently the foxes been out a touch earlier. As a result I've had plenty of unmissable opportunities for photos, as I wait patiently the other side of the fence!








I'd had two, all too brief garden records of Hummingbird Hawkmoth, but was keen to get a more prolonged one. I was hopeful number 3 wasn't far away, having built up quite a decent sized patch of Red Valerian (a favourite of hummers). And so, I was super chuffed to see one buzzing the valerian from my upstairs bedroom window on the morning of 21/06! I shot downstairs, grabbed my camera and was able to get a better view and a handful of photos before it shot off over the fence and away. It was part of a decent influx of them across the country, coinciding with winds from the south.



The valerian has also pulled in a few butterflies with a couple of Painted Ladies, Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral.




Finally, I've dusted off the moth trap a couple of times, on particularly warm nights. This has produced a haul of 6 Elephants and only my second ever Eyed Hawkmoth. I've also had a first Shark for the garden, plus Scarlet Tiger and a super smart Buff Arches among other things.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Greek getaway

For a while, there were plans for a 2024 overseas birding trip in late May, with Estonia mooted as a possibility. However, with the brillian...