Typically, bank holiday Monday (31/08) was a complete washout weather-wise, but having the day to myself, I was determined to get out and do some birding.
I drove over to Borough Hill, Daventry in the hope of some migrants. The conditions, needless to say were f**kin shocking but thankfully I was rewarded for my efforts with an initial flyover Tree Pipit heading south. Towards the centre of the hill another Tree Pipit again went south calling however only heard and not seen this time. I soon got onto a Whinchat followed soon after by another 5 which was nice.
Further north is a hedgerow going from west to east across the hill. This, I've always found to be great for migrants. Despite the conditions, persistance produced a group of 4 Spotted Flycatcher, 2-3 Willow Warbler, a Blackcap, a possible very brief Redstart and another 2 Tree Pipit that landed in the hedge for a short while before continuing south.
No hoped for Wryneck, Pied Fly etc, and in hindsight, heading to one of the highest points in Northants on a day of torrential rain seems like madness but, I was happy despite the soaking wet feet I now had to endure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ardley Baird's
Ardley ERF Lagoon and adjacent quarry pits has been a regular local birding haunt of mine during the past 5 years, offering that rare local ...
-
Back in the final quarter of 2025, the lure of the returning drake Spectacled Eider, led to myself, Gareth B. and Dan W. putting together a ...
-
This spring / summer's sunny weather continued through June, with temperatures hitting the 30s on a regular basis. A significant UK infl...
-
The evening of Friday 10/10, saw me driving up to north Norfolk for the annual 'magic week', mid-October catch-up. This year Dan W. ...
No comments:
Post a Comment