Pages

Monday 23 May 2016

Turtle power!

Sunday (15/05) was a busy day! It all started with myself and Gareth carrying out the next instalment of our Upper Cherwell Valley breeding birds survey. This was from the spectacularly unsociable time of 5am but, once I was up and about, it was great, especially as it was a clear, still morning.




















It was pleasing to hear that the Gropper from earlier in the week was still reeling away. Warblers were, as a whole were in pretty decent numbers, with 9 species between us. Sedge Warblers & Whitethroat were particularly numerous and was nice to hear several Reed Warbler on Gareth's section, a bird never in big numbers here. There was little else of note other than the usual handful of Yellow Wags around the Borrow Pit.
























We finished about half 9 and with the sun still shining, it was time to have a look for some butterflies for pretty much the first time this year. I was keen to see some Green Hairstreaks and so I headed a short way along the M40 to Ardley Quarry, a short way into Oxon. Now I've tried seeing hairstreaks here before and always failed. However I knew they were in there somewhere!

Thankfully, I was in luck! After a short while of snooping around, I came across a pair of Green Hairstreaks chasing each other around a hazel bush. Eventually, after what seemed like an age, they landed and showed very nicely indeed! I ended up finding another 1-2 elsewhere too after that, however they failed to settle for long. 





















Ardley is a lovely little site and is also very good for Grizzled Skippers. On this occasion numbers were certainly in double figures, possibly as many as 15.






















Also seen were 2-3 Holly Blue, my first Small Copper of 2016, as well as a handful of more common species.





















After quite a while spent wandering round, the clouds slowly blotted out the sun and so I decided to leave for Otmoor, a cracking place to visit at this time of year.

I didn't look all around the reserve as I normally would, with the 5am start slowly catching up with me! Instead, I had a walk along the bridleway which to be fair, proved perfectly worthwhile. Almost immediately, I caught sight of a Turtle Dove in flight and I was soon hearing it purring away in the nearby hedgerow. It then relocated to a telegraph pole and later nearby wires where it contently sat purring away giving some lovely views. So pleasing to see them again this year. I have to say I would rather find my own somewhere closer to home but sadly struggling to make that happen!





  
















Along with the Turtle Dove soundtrack, was the awesome sight of a scattering of hunting Hobby! Numbers were very decent indeed and a scan overhead and out over Greenaways, revealed at least 15! They were a pleasure to watch, swooping after insects either high up or low over a nearby dyke.




















Having had my falcon fix, it was time to leave for home. Before I did, it was cool to hear not one, but TWO Turtle Dove purring close to the car park. A purrrrrrfect way to end a great day in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...