Pages

Friday, 12 May 2017

Turtles & Hobbys

Having spent a lot of time out and about the previous day, I intended for Sunday 07/05 to be a little more relaxed. That said, the weather was set fair and so I was still keen to get outside as much as possible.

I took a nice chilled walk around Bucknell Wood during the morning. 2 Common Terns flying over calling was rather out of the ordinary. Other things noted included 2 Cuckoo & 8 Willow Warbler territories.

Afterwards, I chilled at home for a little while, before my mate Dan Watson came over. We decided to have a leisurely stroll around Otmoor with a small diversion to nearby Bernwood Meadows for the Green-Winged Orchids. Before leaving, we sat out in the garden for a bit with some food and coffee. While chatting away, a relatively low flying Hobby slowly cruised over, only my second garden record!

Bernwood was impressive with 100s of Green-Winged Orchids in flower and in glorious sunshine too!




















I was pleased too, after a bit of effort, to find a white variant, something I'd failed to find the previous year.



























On then to Otmoor in continued T-shirt weather. Before even leaving the car park, we could hear the wonderful sound of a purring Turtle Dove! A walk around prodced an impressive number of Hobby, at least 18 largely over Greenaways, though probably more. Also 2 Turtle Doves, 2 Marsh Harrier, reeling Gropper, mega distant, heat hazy, wobbly Garganey, several Cuckoos, a 3rd-summer Yellow-Legged Gull & LRP. Such a lovely reserve to visit in spring, just alive with life and warblers singing everywhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...