Pages

Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Bee Eaters

On Sunday 02/07 I had planned with Dan Watson to head to the Notts / Leicestershire border, to see the group of Bee-Eaters now in situ at a quarry close to the village of East Leake.

Unfortunately, Dan couldn't make it in the end. On what was a very hot day, I headed out late morning for a leisurely stroll locally, looking for butterflies. The heat was making me feel lethargic and lazy! Could I be bothered to go for the Bee-Eaters?!

In the end, knowing I was pretty busy for the next couple of weekends, I decided to go for it! Plus, the reward would be seeing Bee-Eaters, after all! 



I'm very much glad I did, despite the M1 50mph average speed zone taking what seemed like forever!!

I parked up and headed to the RSPB viewpoint. Soon after, I was enjoying some great scope views of up to 6 birds, albeit looking into the sun. They were very vocal during my time there and were also feeding regularly. They of course, captured quite a few Bees, but also several dragonflies, which was entertaining watching them trying to get them down the hatch!

It had been not far off 10 years since I last saw Bee-Eaters, in Southern Spain and these were my first in the UK full-stop.




After a good hour of enjoying the spectacle, it was time to make the journey home and brave the M1 once again. A great little outing...I may be back!  


1 comment:

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...