Pages

Monday, 29 September 2025

Black Hairstreak bonanza

As with a number of other butterfly species this year, Black Hairstreaks emerged exceptionally early this year. At many sites, they were out in late May, something I don't remember ever coming across previously. 

With the news of their early emergence, I managed to find some time to visit Hewins Wood, near Calvert (Bucks) for a short while on 01/06, in the hope of some good views and importantly, sun!

It was a day of mixed cloud and sun, so bit of a gamble, but it was at least warm! On arrival with a spell of sun, I was quickly onto several Hairstreaks, fluttering around the tops of the Blackthorn, as well an active Beautiful Demoiselle and Broad-Bodied Chaser.





As predicted, the sun was sporadic, making gaining views of the Hairstreaks difficult and quite frustrating! However persistence paid off and in the end, I enjoyed some lovely views of a good number, including an absolutely pristine, freshly emerged individual that posed brilliantly for a good while. Just perfect!






No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...