Pages

Sunday, 2 August 2026

Heatwave Emperors

This spring / summer's sunny weather continued through June, with temperatures hitting the 30s on a regular basis.

A significant UK influx of Quail took place during the month and while I was was perhaps unlucky not to find my own, despite a number of evening walks in good local habitat, luckily one was discovered not too far away near the village of Weston. I popped over on 27/06, not hoping for much in the heat of the day, but luckily I managed to hear it a number of times not too far from the road. I headed back that evening and again sang from a neighbouring field, though more distantly. Really worth the effort for what is a really tricky local bird.


The consistant, reliable hot weather meant that butterflies were very much on the agenda, particularly as we moved towards peak time for all the local woodland specialities. Unsurpringly given the weather, species were emerging on the early side and so it was no surprise that the first Purple Emperors began to emerge well before the month's end.

Keen to see my own, I headed to Bucknell Wood on 21/06 for a prolonged search. Luck was on my side and I was treated to an excellent showing of 2 pristine males down on the tracks. What a treat!






Also caught up with my first Silver-Washed Frits of the year.








Elsewhere, I visited Ardley Quarry fairly regularly as the site offers the chance for interest with birds, butterflies or dragonflies! Marbled Whites appeared in force in early June, while the Poppies put on a good show - they've been everywhere this summer! Birding oddities here included a Marsh Tit (14/06), a pair of Pochard (05/06) and a group of 5 Ringed Plover (09/06). While the lagoon is still going strong, the main quarry lake was filled in by mid month, as again the site evolves in line with the live quarry workings. A shame as it always had potential to pull in something of interest and produced a few passage waders during the last couple of years.







Garden mothing didn't produce anything too mad, however always nice to show the kids regular Elephant Hawkmoths, as well as a single Small Elephant Hawkmoth on 18/06. An Azure Damselfly around the pond was new for the garden on 14/06.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Heatwave Emperors

This spring / summer's sunny weather continued through June, with temperatures hitting the 30s on a regular basis. A significant UK infl...