Pages

Monday 30 April 2012

Wall to wall Wheatears!!

The old April showers cliché really has become reality this year...with avengance! This week in particular has seen non-stop rain with the sun only peeking out briefly before the next onslaught!  This April has rapidly become the wettest month since records began!!


Birding-wise, the cold wet and at times windy weather does have its advantages, as long as you're wearing your wellies, a big raincoat as well as having some shelter at close-hand.


My first birds of the week came from Summer Leys on the afternoon of Tuesday 25th. I had some exams to envigulate at the Weetabix factory and I couldn't resist popping in to Mary's on the way back, having heard of both Little Gull and Arctic Terns there earlier on. Sure enough a 2nd-summer Little Gull with his black hood was sitting there on the island, as well as around 10 Arctic Terns dozing, but showing off their short legs, long tail streamers projecting beyond the tail and a distinct lack of black in the the tip of the wings, ruling out Common Terns. In the rush I was in I failed to get a pic but was chuffed to see them both so quickly, with the Little Gull my first of the year.
The next day I popped in for an hour and a half again to Summer Leys. There were 6 Little Gulls present on or around Round Island which had finally emerged from the depths. there were 4 adults and 2 1st-summers on show for a short while before they eventually flew off to the east. The pic below shows 4 out of the 6 on show:






















Mary's held plenty of Common Terns as well as a single Arctic Tern swooping around with them. On leaving, there was a Canada Goose X Greylag Goose hybrid showing well in the field just west of the lane. I couldn't resist getting a pic:


















Friday 27th saw a big movement of birds into the county and with the weather as bad as it was, a dog walker-free Clifford Hill came up trumps with at least an incredible 80 odd Wheatears, Turnstone, Garganey, Whimbrel and plenty of Yellow Wagtails and other grounded migrants. I had a couple of house viewings planned so there was no chance I was going to get to see the spectacle. I would however be going down there first thing Saturday morning.
Saturday (28/04) was, shock horror, a right old damp one and it duly rained the whole way there. On arrival at Clifford Hill (07:30am) the rain had temporarily eased off however it was still very grey and bloody freezing! Walking along the bank it quickly became clear there were still good numbers of Wheatear around  with at least 20 in the SW corner. Mike Alibone pointed out 2 Egyptian Geese on the far side too, which were a year tick for me. Moving on to the East end, there were plenty more Wheatears with about 30-35 at the SE end, many of which were 'Greenland-type' birds, looking big and orangey. Here there were also several Yellow & White Wagtail, my first Common Sandpiper of the year and a LRP briefly.




















There were plenty of hirundines being blown around with the majority being Swallows and House Martins, as well as a few Sand Martins thrown in for good measure. Many of the birds sat on the edge of the lake to rest out of the wind. My first Swift of the year swooped around 6 feet from me. Several in fact began to cruise through.



















At around 08:15am a Whimbrel flew through heading East and on the North side of the lake, a mixed flock of 5 Dunlin and 5 Ringed Plover were on show. Here there were several Yellow Wagtail, at least 16 Wheatear the 2 Egyptian Geese and a female 'Channel Wagtail' feeding on its own. The last bird of note to be found was the Pink Footed Goose which had been present a fair while. It was seen feeding with Greylags on the big central grassy spit that goes out into the lake. By this time the rain had started to lash down and I therefore hot-footed it back to the car to dry off. Unsurprisingly, I got soaked!!


After this it was on to Summer Leys, in the hope that the bad weather had turned something up here too! On arrival from the main hide around the wader bay/bund area were a single Sanderling, a Black Tailed Godwit, a Common Sandpiper, 2 Ruff and 7 Dunlin. As if I hadn't seen enough Wheatear already, 4 more were on the grass between the main lake and the old railway line. A Reed Warbler was singing a small distance away and was my first of the year.


Round the other side I quickly came across at least 2 male Whitethroat in the vacinity of the Feeding Station. One in particular showed really well right next to the feeding station, as well a very vocal Sedge Warbler and several Willow Warblers and Blackcaps.


















A short while later I was suprised to find a 1st-summer Kittiwake flying straight through east. I was just by the entrance to the screen hide when it cruised past, over the lane and out of sight. Despite scanning both Pete Wilde's and Mary's Lakes, I failed to relocate it. A decent find though. In checking if anything had dropped in before I left, it was a suprise to find a flock of 24 Black Tailed Godwit on the grass to the right of the feeding station. They were a handsome bunch, all of the icelandic race (with their rufous underparts extending further down the belly than the limosa race).



  














I then decided to head home. The miserable weather had got the better of me and I had had enough!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...