Pages

Tuesday 1 May 2012

Storks and shower dodging

So Sunday (29/04) I crept over the border into Oxfordshire for Sunday lunch at Em's Gran's near Woodstock. Em was working at 3 o'clock and that duly left me with a prime opportunity to latch onto some great birds that were, at present knocking around the Oxford area. There were 3 targets: a flock of 6 White Storks near Stanlake, several Black Necked Grebes at Farmoor Resevoir and finally a lingering Dotterel that had been lingering with several late Golden Plovers just west of Banbury.

The weather was shockingly miserable, with really heavy on and off showers. But with the potential of seeing some great birds, I didn't really give a monkeys what the weather did!!

First up were the Grebes. I arrived at Farmoor a little after 3 o'clock. All I knew is that they were close to the car park, on F2. With a flukey break between the showers, I walked up to the edge of the resevoir and to my utter amazement there were 5 small grebe shaped things no more than 15 feet from the edge. Immediately got my scope on them to reveal absolutely insane views of 5 Black Necked Grebe, all in immaculate summer plumage...absolutely fantastic.
























I watched the birds for around 45 minutes, taking lots of pics. From the news I'd been getting, the Storks at Standlake had been 'pinned down' by the weather, however with the sun now out I was concerned they would scarper so it was time to head over to see them.

I parked up by the Thames at Newbridge and slipped the wellies on. This turned out to be a bloody shrewd move as all along the river it was rather moist shall we say! The Storks were supposed to be in a field on the north side of the river. A few hundred yards along, I was was suprised to find a Barn Owl landing on a post on the other side of the river. at around 16:30. It sat there a short while before flying off along the hedgerow running away from the river.























I walked all the way down following the river to the west side of the Standlake Nature Reserve a good old walk, with constant rain! I came across a couple of birders also looking for the Storks. They said the birds had apparently flown SW although may well have been still in the area. I soldiered on along the river to some further flooded fields in the hope they'd be loafing around still. Sadly there was no sign, just plenty of Swans and Geese, as well as a calling Yellow Wagtail. The sun had come out by then, however a huge weather front moved in pretty sharpish as I began to head back to the car. Suddenly an owl was blown across in front of me by the wind. Managed to latch onto to it and to my suprise it was a Short Eared Owl! It disappeared as quickly as it appeared and was blown away to the west. 
Literally a minute later I couldn't believe my luck, all 6 White Storks appeared from the SW and crusied in front of me along the river towards the fields they had been previously, god dam get in!!!! I hot footed it back along the river, spanking it in the mud on the way, leaving the whole right-hand side of my jeans covered in mud haha! but I didn't care as I was just so keen to see the Storks on the deck. Eventually I got to the field and got great views of all six birds feeding in the field just the other side of the river. They were a UK tick for me and I was well chuffed!




















I enjoyed the birds for a while before trudging my way back back through the floods to the car. It was a bit after 6 o'clock, but the light was good and there was plenty of time to scoot up to Banbury and catch up with Dotterel that had been lurking just west of the town.

I arrived by Balscote Quarry Nature Reserve just after 7. The field next to the reserve was where the Dotterel had been. Straight away I spotted a Whimbrel feeding by a flooded area in the NE corner of the field as well as a couple of Wheatear.






















Eventually I picked up a small group of smart looking Golden Plover towards the back of the field. Initially there was no sign of the Dotterel, however a minute or so later, the far right-hand Plover ducked it's head to reveal the head of the Dotterel. Both it and the 15 or so Golden Plover were very sleepy, however the Dotterel did get up and move further left to reveal itself in full with it currently moulting into summer plumage (far right hand of pic below). Soon after another birder found a Whinchat which was a real bonus, my first spring male and what a stunner. It showed well in the same area as the Whimbrel, by the pool in the NE corner. In total there were 3 Wheatear, as well as a Little Ringed Plover and 1-2 male Yellow Wagtails. On top of all that, there were several Tree Sparrows showing in the adjacent hedgerow. What a great field!!






















By 19:45 the light was starting to deteriorate and I was getting pretty dam cold so it was time to call it a day and head for home. What an awesome afternoons birding though, seeing 6 White Stork, amazing views of 5 Black Necked Grebes, Dotterel, male Whinchat, Barn and Short Eared Owls...fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...