Pages

Monday 25 March 2013

Blizzard Wheatear

The weather at the moment is just filthy and is more reminiscent of mid January than the first week of spring with temperatures well below zero and plenty of snow and ice about.

Due to this, getting about and doing some birding has been a bit tricky, however on Saturday (23/03) I decided I had to get out and find some birds so I headed to Clifford Hill GPs in the hope a migrant or two.

In blizzard conditions I managed to do a circuit of the main lake. The sheer quantity of birds was amazing with several hundred Wigeon and plenty of Teal about. There was also a flock of around 500 Golden Plover. In with these were at least 13 Dunlin. Also around were 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Redshank & 11 Goosander, however the highlight was a male Wheatear showing along the fence by the Trout Lake and my earliest yet in Northants. He didn't half look miserable in the snow, probably wishing he'd stayed in sunny Africa!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...