Pages

Saturday 30 March 2013

Farmoor & Otmoor

Was having lunch at Em' s Gran's today so thought I would have a look at what birds Oxfordshire had to offer. I headed for Farmoor Reservoir mid-morning in the hope of seeing the Black Redstart that had been there a while, as well as anything else that might be about.

I headed straight for the causeway and it wasn't long before I found 2 male Wheatear, 2
Rock Pipit and a Meadow Pipit feeding along the concrete shore of F1. F2 played host to a couple of adult winter Little Gull flying about, 2 distant Sand Martin and a Grey Wagtail, while back on F1 were 4 Scaup (2m, 2f).



















I then turned my attention to the Black Redstart and after being told it was still about near to the water treatment works, I headed there next. I soon found it, the Black Redstart perched on the big perimeter fence. It was very active, constantly feeding. I presume it is a 1st-summer male as on several occasions it would break in song, not something you hear everyday. I enjoyed it for a while before it was time to head off for lunch.



















After lunch I headed to Otmoor in the search of the Hen Harriers that had been present in varying in numbers all winter. There were plenty of birds about with several Curlew, Redshank and Snipe to start with. Seen from the hide area were 7 White Fronted Geese though were considerably distant. The odd Red Kite would flap fast, looking for an easy meal. I walked all the way to the second screen and had a rather half-hearted look for the Ferruginous Duck, however I presume he'd already tucked up for the night in the reedbed. It wasn't long before I saw what I'd come for, as a smart ringtail Hen Harrier appeared on the horizon and for the next 20 or so minutes, showed on & off. Get in there! There was good number of teal from the 2nd viewing screen and these also included a very dapper pair of Pintail for a few minutes.
The only other birds of note were both on the way back to the car with a Peregrine flashing through, harassing the local wildfowl and a Squealing Water Rail.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...