Pages

Sunday 31 May 2015

Black Throated Diver

For much of the week, an incredible, must-see summer plumaged Black Throated Diver had been showing really nicely at Farmoor Reservoir near Oxford. I was desperate to see it and on Friday 15/05 it was still there. So despite me playing cricket in Northampton from 12pm, first thing on Saturday (16/05) morning, I zoomed over to Farmoor to hopefully enjoy the bird.

I was in luck!! After a few scans from the causeway, I picked the bird up a little way off, preening away off the NW corner of F2. I was one of only three or so others there at first and after enjoying good scope views, it suddenly decided to come right up to the causeway, slowly cruising close past us...WOW!

Over the course of the next couple of hours, it really did show well, though getting the right angle to the sun was a constant challenge! There was a bit of talk of how ill it was but while I was there, it dived several times and seemed in relatively good shape, if maybe a little tired, as he should be having ended up in the middle of Oxfordshire! 




















Quite a crowd had soon gathered to enjoy the bird. Sadly, as per usual, all the photographers had to get as close as flipping possible, walking along the shoreline even walking into the water a short way. Why they had to do this and not just stand on the causeway I don't know but there we go! It wound me up a bit and I soon vented my frustration to one such donut, paddling around on the water's edge!


















A Turnstone was flying about calling. Before I left, I also enjoyed stupid views of a couple of Sanderling (including a beautiful breeding-plumaged bird) and 3-4 Dunlin down to 5 feet at times, as they busily feed along the southern shore of F1. They were just too close to photograph!! A seriously worthwhile visit!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...