Pages

Sunday 31 May 2015

Dukes & Doves

On Saturday 09/05 I played cricket over in Brigstock, North Northants. Before the game in bright sunshine, I popped into Fermyn Woods Country Park to have a quick look for Green Hairstreaks. In a 25 minute wander, I managed to find one plus several of both Dingy & Grizzled Skipper.


















It was a really nice evening, so after the game (which we won convincingly may I add!), I popped over to Polebrook Airfield to enjoy the Nightingales. They didn't disappoint, with at least 3 singing males and some great views of a couple of them too!






















Sunday 10/05 was my chance to enjoy some Duke of Burgundy action and hearing from Dave James that Tottenhoe Quarry in Bedfordshire was a great place to see good numbers, I zipped down the M1 fairly early on. After my arrival, I was soon enjoying a couple of singing Corn Bunting while looking for the right area, an unexpected surprise!

There was a bit of cloud in the area, however thankfully the sun was out and conditions seemed bang on for finding butterflies. Nearby, a fresh-looking Holly Blue gave me the runaround before disappearing. After wondering if I'd gone the wrong way, I came across the large grassy dip famed for it's colony of Duke of Burgundy. In no time, I was enjoying several cracking little dukes!




















There were at least 10 all in a relatively small area, making them super easy to see. They're a super-aggressive butterfly and it was great watching them kick off when anything flew anywhere near their territory!

























There wasn't anything else too much of note, but the Dukes made the drive over more than worthwhile!

























I then took the rather long diversion over to Otmoor RSPB reserve near Oxford to enjoy the relatively newly-arrived Turtle Doves. I walked over to the cattle pens, a short way from the car park and straight away, a single bird was present, feeding on the ground, giving great views. That was easy! They are a real favourite of mine and it's always a relief to see they have managed to return, dodging the many dangers to them on their migration route from Africa.


















The bird soon departed, but it or another soon appeared on the favoured dead tree a short way along the path and began purring. What a sound, a real sound of summer!! In total there were 2 probably 3 birds present during my visit.



















At least 6 Hobby were present hawking over the reedbed, my first of the year and there were at least 2 Cuckoo including a dead showy bird sat on wires, singing away close to the car park. A great visit, Otmoor at it's best!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...