Pages

Saturday 2 June 2018

Patch mega!

Yesterday was a grey and humid morning and so before work, I felt it was worth a stroll around Grimsbury Res before work, in the hope a wader or late tern may have dropped in. It was an uneventful circuit with nothing particularly of note to mention. Towards the end of my walk, near to the SE corner of the reservoir, I heard a burst of song a short way ahead, from trees along the river. It was different and having heard it three or so times, I realised it was something good. I scratched my head and then it dawned on me that it was almost certainly a bloody Pied Flycatcher! It's a song I've heard several times, including this spring, but living and birding where I do, it’s just something that isn't instinctively familiar.

The bird seemed to be the other side of the trees by the river. Luckily there was a short path closeby that took me straight down the few metres to the river's edge. I soon got onto the singing bird, up in a nearby willow, indeed confirming I'd found a singing male Pied Flycatcher! Wowee!!





I got the news out to everyone and then watched it for 10-15 minutes or so. I wish it was longer but I had to go to work! Every spring I long to find a male Pied Flycatcher, but this exceeded anything as it was singing too and on the patch...plus in June of all months! One of my favourite ever finds for sure. I went back at lunchtime, eager to get more of a fix, however it had unfortunately vanished and was not to be seen again. 

I've popped up to the res most days recently, not seeing all that much really, however on Wednesday (30/05), our great run of Sanderlings continued with one strolling about with a male LRP in the evening.



Finally, the only other thing of interest this week was my first Bee Orchid of the year, at Croughton Quarry, near Brackley. It properly came into flower yesterday and was also the first I've seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greek getaway

For a while, there were plans for a 2024 overseas birding trip in late May, with Estonia mooted as a possibility. However, with the brillian...