Pages

Saturday 2 June 2018

Swallowtails in the sun

I'd seen that around a week previously, Swallowtails were now out in their favoured Norfolk Broads haunts. So I earmarked the late May Bank Holiday to potentially get across to see them, providing I was both free and the forecast was set relatively fair.

As it turned out, yes I was free and it seemed the Norwich area was set for a decent spell of sun! Em was going to come with me but in the end decided to do a few things at home. So, I set off mega early on Monday (28/05) morning, through the mist and gloom hanging over the Midlands. In fact it wasn't until just 35 minutes away from Strumpshaw Fen that the gloom actually lifted!

I arrived at Strumpshaw about 09:10am in glorious sunshine, very little wind and barely a cloud in the sky! I decided to immediately do a circuit of the reserve, in the optimistic hope I may be lucky enough to find an early basking Swallowtail along the way.

I soon encountered my first Swallowtail of the day, zipping past me and on the circuit I saw another two, including one hyperactively feeding on Campion near to the Doctor's garden.



This was the theme for much of the day, with lovely flight views every now and then, as they bombed around in the sweltering hot sun.





Marsh Harriers were very obvious throughout the day, cruising over the reedbeds. Other birds of note included a distant Hobby, a reeling Grasshopper Warbler, a couple of Cuckoo and a calling Bearded Tit. A visit to the hides also produced some nice close views of a variety of ducks too.







After walking around for ages this was my best photo of a Swallowtail...


I decided to get myself a late afternoon coffee from the small visitor centre, to give me a boost of energy for one last look round. This was quickly put on hold, as a fully tailed Swallowtail was settled in the small butterfly garden closeby. Woohoo!



Just when I thought my chances of getting better views of one had gone for the day, this beauty spent a good 10 minutes buzzing from flower to flower often swooping away, only to return a few seconds later. It drew in quite a crowd who to be fair, weren't too pushy and obstructive with everyone getting their turn at capturing a photo.






Following all the excitement, I went and got a celebratory ice-cream and sat eating it, watching presumably the same Swallowtail nectaring from the Flag Irises in front of the viewing screen closeby. That seemed like a suitable way to end things for the day and off back to Brackley I went!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Greek getaway

For a while, there were plans for a 2024 overseas birding trip in late May, with Estonia mooted as a possibility. However, with the brillian...