Pages

Tuesday 13 October 2020

Bicester Garganeys, patch Osprey and Chats

Birding pal Dan Watson was in the area on the evening of Tuesday 01/09, so I suggested we took a look at Bicester Wetland Reserve after work. I'm glad we did, as we found not one but TWO Garganey, amongst the large numbers of Teal. What's more, they were a reserve first and generally a scarce bird for this part of the world. At least one of them went on to linger for nearly 2 weeks.

The day before was the Bank Holiday Monday (31/08) and with the morning free, I decided to have a stroll around Borough Hill, Daventry, looking for chats. At this time of year you can't quite guarantee to see Redstart and Whinchat, but you come away surprised if you don't! Luckily for me I didn't come away disappointed, finding a single Whinchat and a couple of typically sneaky Redstarts, as well as 4 Spotted Flycatchers and 6 Small Coppers too.

I was really chuffed to chance on a flyover Osprey at Grimsbury Res on Sunday 06/09, as it flew purposefully S early morning. The downside was I was busy staring into scrub at a skulky warbler (which turned out to be just a Chiff!) and only picked up the Osprey as it flew away from me! They're a hard bird to come across around here so a goodun for the patch, my third there.

In fact it was a productive weekend on patch with a flyover Tree Pipit, a distant Whinchat on the cattlefield fence and a good push of Siskins .

Finally, on the morning of Saturday 12/09, I came across yet another Bicester Wetland Reserve first in the shape of a mobile Whinchat. I was amazed this was a reserve first, given that there's seemingly a good amount of suitable habitat on offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...