Pages

Monday 15 July 2013

Purple Hairstreak

I've been heading down to Bucknell Woods most evenings after work in the hope of seeing a local Purple Emperor or whatever else I could find.

Between 17:45 & 18:50 I did my usual circuit, taking in the main track. Despite plenty of stuff about, there were no Emperors to be found. Best were 6-7 White Admiral, at least 3 Wood White, a couple of Large White and the usual Large skippers, Ringlets and Meadow Browns.

On my return along the main track, something caught my eye, a flash of purple and was staggered to find that it was in fact a very sorry looking Purple Hairstreak staggering around on the path. Was a beautiful thing, however its' wings were folded over and it was rather weak. I let it wander onto my hand before leaving it on a plant by the path. Certainly brightened up my visit!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...