So a young Night Heron had been lingering at Thornton Reservoir in Leicestershire for nearly two weeks and with it being very close to the M1 I finally caved and headed there after work yesterday (Friday 09/08). It was a bird I've wanted to see for years and would be a long awaited lifer.
After getting very useful directions from Dave who went there last week, I headed round the left hand arm of the reservoir. After a bit of scanning I found it, Night Heron! He was roosting in the bottom of a willow. Over the next hour or so it performed brilliantly, sitting right out in the open for the most part, as well as doing a bit of fishing, as well as being briefly pestered by a Carrion Crow. Went away a very happy chap!
Saturday, 10 August 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ardley Baird's
Ardley ERF Lagoon and adjacent quarry pits has been a regular local birding haunt of mine during the past 5 years, offering that rare local ...
-
Back in the final quarter of 2025, the lure of the returning drake Spectacled Eider, led to myself, Gareth B. and Dan W. putting together a ...
-
This spring / summer's sunny weather continued through June, with temperatures hitting the 30s on a regular basis. A significant UK infl...
-
The evening of Friday 10/10, saw me driving up to north Norfolk for the annual 'magic week', mid-October catch-up. This year Dan W. ...
No comments:
Post a Comment