Pages

Monday 4 August 2014

Aston Rowant

On Sunday (20/07), I spent a rather humid & gloomy morning along the M40 at Aston Rowant NNR, in Oxfordshire, close to the Bucks border.

It is an incredibly good place to enjoy butterflies, despite it being so close to the M40! This year, I was keen to to get some pics of some fresh Chalkhill Blues as last year the majority I photographed were a little tatty!

After the short walk from the car park, I'd been on site no more than 2 minutes before I came across my first few Chalkhill Blues roosting on grass stems and drying out their wings.



  














There were good numbers of Chalkhills around including a pair in cop. The male was a really stonking, fresh looking one.


















There were plenty of other things to see with 3 fresh Silver-Spotted Skippers, several mostly worn Marbled White & 3 very fresh male Brown Argus among the highlights.





















It was then time to head home as I had plans, but a very successful little outing!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...