Pages

Friday, 24 October 2014

Red Necked Grebe & Great White Egret

It's been a pretty dire year for birds in Northants so when something comes along it's an even more pleasant surprise than usual!

Mid September brought a very smart moulting adult Red Necked Grebe to Daventry Reservoir and I went over on 3 occasions to enjoy it. Only once however did it show in decent light (21/09), however I flipping well forgot I'd left the cameras settings on a rather high ISO. Arggghh!!! Thankfully I got a few retrievable images.






















One thing we do rather take for granted are the now annual Great White Egrets with numbers reaching possibly as many as 5 or so during winter months over the past 2 or 3 years. I have though never really had much of an opportunity to photograph one. So, having trawled around the county on Saturday (27/09) and finding sweet FA, I finished up at Summer Leys to see the Great White Egret which had spent some time on the scrape there. 



























It duly performed well and I also had the added bonus of a late Garganey and a Pale Tussock Moth caterpillar too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...