Pages

Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Penduline Tit!!

On Sunday (28/12) the best news greeted me of a Penduline Tit showing well at Priory CP in Bedford. This is a species that has brought me pretty close to despair on a couple of occasions, pointlessly wasting several hours of my life staring into a reedbed! Surely now was the time to put that behind me!

So on the morning of Monday (29/12) I made the 45 or so minute journey across from Brackley on a stunning, crisp, sunny day. I managed to find the area with little difficulty parking behind a long line of cars along a dead-end lane. I trotted off and the news appeared to be good with several "still there's" on the way down. Eventually I joined a small huddle of expectant birders. The bird was out of view, however within a few minutes it again appeared and after a quick peak down someone's scope I now had fully unblocked Penduline Tit...BOOM!

Now it was time to enjoy the bird. It showed better than I'd hoped to be honest. Flitting around a bit, but also spending prolonged periods of time feeding on reed-mace heads, occasionally really quite close. It also called quite a bit too which was great to hear.
















 
After having my fill of the Penduline, I headed over to Wellingborough to see a mate so popped into Summer Leys on the way. Not much about other than a Little Egret, a couple of squealing Water Rail and several Goldeneye.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...