Pages

Monday, 27 July 2015

Purple Emperors

On Saturday 11/07 I was playing cricket at Upper Benefield in the north of Northants and this coincided nicely with the Purple Emperor emergence over at nearby Fermyn Woods. So, for the morning I had a good wander round.

I'd walked no more than 50 yards from the car before a male Purple Emperor tantalisingly circled the path for a short while before zooming off to some nearby oaks. Good sign!

Walking around in the early morning sunshine, I managed to see several Emperors either on the paths (including a freshly emerged female), or zooming around the treetops.


















A couple of White Admiral, several Silver-Washed Fritillaries and a smart Marbled White also showed themselves. What was a particular highlight though were my first confirmed sightings of White-Letter Hairstreak with several on view in Lady Wood. While they were pretty high up, I still managed to get some very decent binocular views.



















I enjoyed these little beauts for a short while before it gradually clouded over, signalling my time to head off to the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...