Pages

Saturday, 30 May 2020

A little more freedom

We all received the extremely welcome news, that from Wednesday 13/05, restrictions on our movement was to be eased slightly. We were now allowed to get out for an unlimited number of times and were also allowed to drive somewhere - as long as we maintained the 2 metre social distancing.

This was music to my ears and that very evening I hopped in my car to travel the short distance to my local Grizzled Skipper site near Croughton. It was sunny, but with a bitterly cold breeze. I knew there wouldn't be anything on the wing, but I was hoping I'd be able to find one/some roosting. It took a bit of effort, but just when I was about to give up...




Over the next few days, I popped back in warmer weather and was treated to up to 5 Grizzled (a bloody good count for here).




A single Dingy Skipper was a good find too, as they are very hard to find here. Numbers of Small Heaths were rapidly increasing and my first Brown Argus and Common Blues of 2020 appeared. I was really beginning to enjoy the fruits of this small amount of freedom! 






One of the other local sites I was keen to get to, was Bucknell Wood near Silverstone; somewhere that was just a bit too far away to access on foot or bike during lockdown.

I got up there on 17/05 and was able to enjoy my first Wood White fix of the year too - including a few very freshly emerged. Bootiful!







Cuckoo and several Spotted Flys were also in evidence, plus my first,  crazy-looking Lackey Moth caterpillar!



No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...