Pages

Wednesday 1 July 2020

The Chilterns

Right at the end of May and into June, I paid a couple of sunny visits to the Chilterns looking for butterflies.

On Saturday 30/05, I started early at Otmoor to see it's usual spring / summer specialities, seeing most. I particularly enjoyed soaking up the spectacle of drumming Snipe over Greenaways - a now rare, but awesome sight!



It was then off down the M40, to Yoesden Bank near Stokenchurch (Bucks). Always a stunning site to visit during the summer months. I was looking for Adonis Blue butterflies and managed to see quite a few, despite them probably just past their peak in numbers. Even by mid morning, it was swelteringly hot and seeing any settled for photos was a nightmare, but still cracking things to see in a beautiful setting. I also managed to find a aberation too (below) - with just a single discoidal spot on each underside. It most closely resembles ab. Krodeli - however this form seems to be females and this looks to be a male. So not really sure about that one!







There were also quite a few Small Blue about too in the areas covered in Kidney Vetch, plus some elegant, Chalk Fragrant Orchids popping up too.





Em and I met up with friends for a distanced picnic at Linkey Down, Aston Rowant on 31/05. There were stacks of very fresh Dark Green Fritillaries about, so I was keen to return!

It took a bit of time to get back there, but I did in the end, with a mild, early morning visit paying dividends on 14/06. The timing was perfect, before the butterflies became 'super-charged' tearing around the slopes, but also before the cloud rolled in too! Stepping through the gate, I was immediately greeted with a cluster of Frits on a purple thistle and I went on to enjoy really good numbers - simply a case of spot the thistles and bingo!













Also that morning I saw my first Marbled White and Small Skipper of the year plus a nice spread of Pyramidal & Chalk Fragrant Orchids. A very nice morning indeed!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...