Pages

Monday 9 March 2015

Kittiwake!

I hadn't given Grimsbury much of a go recently for one reason or another, however my motivation to keep at it improved drastically after finding a smart male Stonechat during my lunch break on Wednesday (04/03), as well as hearing the Willow Tit & a Chiffchaff and seeing 3 Goosander (1 drake).

On Friday (06/03) I went down, again in my lunch break to have a look at the Otter footprints Gareth Blockley had found in the mud down along the river. In the bright sun I head down the East side of the reservoir and began scanning through a flock of around 20 gulls sat out relatively close-in on the water. Amongst the handful of Black Headed Gull & Common Gulls was something different. With a clean white head, pure yellow bill and small black tips to the wings...an adult Kittiwake! Great find!





















Having stuck the news out, I enjoyed it for a short while, getting a few snaps. It looked pretty settled when I left and was pleased to hear others saw it too later on. Turns out to be the 3rd sire record.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...