Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Garganey in the snow?!

Considering we're only a few days away from May, the weather this week has been pretty bonkers, with very cold temperatures & frequent and sometimes heavy, snow showers! 

Yesterday (Tuesday 26/04) was particularly unseasonal and my visit to Grimsbury Res was dominated by a pretty monsterous snow storm! Nevertheless, I persevered! 

The sight of hirundines bombing around the reservoir in the snow was pretty bizarre to say the least, as was a male Yellow Wagtail forgaging in snow-tinted grass! Other than these though, the weather had failed to drop in anything else of note. A sunny gap between the showers persuaded me to have a short wander down the canal for a look over at the Borrow pit, the other side of the M40.




















Here too was quiet...just more hirundines, however I still walked all the way round. With another threatening cloud looming, it was time to head back. However, just before I did, I noticed in the corner of my eye something land on the water that looked pretty small compared to a nearby Coot. Wow a drake Garganey! Wasn't expecting that! I put the word out and watched it for a bit before more light snow / sleet began again and I was getting really cold too. So off home I went, clocking a female LRP on the res, on my way through. 

My good run of birds here continues :)




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...