Pages

Sunday 3 April 2016

March migrants

Ok so bit of a round up of sightings over easter...

On Good Friday (25/03) I joined Gareth for a thorough, early morning search around Grimsbury Res, Banbury & the upper Cherwell Valley on what was a beautiful crisp, clear day. Walking along the river to meet him I had brief views of my first Sand Martin of the year, however it soon vanished. We found a few nice bits including a brief singing Willow Tit, a distant Peregrine sat on a factory chimney, a Little Egret, a couple of Snipe, a Yellowhammer (rare here) & a flyover Greylag Goose, also not all that common at Grimsbury believe it or not. Some nice, pretty fresh Otter prints were also under the railway bridge by the river.






















I spent the rest of the day doing our garden and managed to see my first Brimstone & Small Tortoiseshell of the year flying about, as well as a nice migratory flock of c.80 Fieldfare flying high & purpoisfully north.

I spent most of Saturday (26/03) over towards Northampton. I spent the afternoon doing a bit of birding, firstly having a wander around Summer Leys. I managed to see the pair of Garganey fast asleep on the RMC pit, viewed from the road in pretty horrible, grey and windy conditions. At least 10 Sand Martins headed over here also. I pleasingly managed my first Swallow of the year, together with a further c.15 Sand Martins on mary's Lake. Other notable things included the long-staying female Scaup, a couple of fly-by Egyptian Geese & a smart Black Tailed Godwit in wader bay.




















I then went on to do a circuit of Clifford Hill GP, however I got caught in a torrential rain shower half way round and came away with just c.70 Golden Plovers and a single Oystercatcher.

I finished my day back at Grimsbury Reservoir, later on, where I enjoyed at least 4 Swallows and at 5-10 Sand Martins, as well as a nice pair of Little Ringed Plover that dropped in while I was there.




















My easter weekend birding concluded with a bit of a drive around a few places in SW Northants & north Oxon. I gave Boddington Reservoir a go, however no hoped for Terns or Little Gulls, despite a few scattered across a few inland sites. Star bird(s) were a couple of lovely Jack Snipe, as well as c.5 Sand Martins cruising over the water, several Snipe & a drake Shoveler.

Then onto Grimsbury, (or 'the soap dish' as it's become affectionately known!) meeting up with Gareth & Dan. Whilst waiting for them to arrive, I was chuffed to get onto a couple of House Martins, in with a sprinkling of Swallows & Sand Martins over the res. Who would've thought it, all three common hirundines in March! A Peregrine cruised over too several times. They've certainly upped their appearances in recent days.

Dan & Gareth then headed home, however I decided to pop along the M40/A34 to Farmoor with he sun out and an opportunity to enjoy the now regular spring Red-Necked Grebe there!

After a bit of a walk around F2, I was soon enjoying a stonking Red Necked Grebe, certainly worth the short drive. It showed well, regularly catching small fish/fry, only disturbed by the local Great Crested Grebes who regularly resorted to sneaky underwater attacks!






















I carried on my walk on, round to the causeway. Both immature Great Northern Divers were still present in the SE corner of F1. One in particular showed super close for a little while. This bird could be heard contact calling a few times, however it was also super exciting to see/hear it properly call with that lovely evocative yodelling sound too!






















While watching the Divers I also became aware of one of the two Rock Pipits that had apparently been present for the last few days. I carefully tried creeping a bit closer and to my surprise, it jumped up onto the causeway wall right in front of me. After getting a few pics, I headed back to Brackley.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...