Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Passage waders & Lesser Spots

A fair bit of birding done in Northants over the weekend (23/04 & 24/04), giving me the chance to catch up with some great birds. It was also good to find a couple of nice bits too!

I didn't get out until Saturday afternoon, however after collecting my new car from a mate of mine in Little Irchester, I had a good look around nearby Summer Leys which is THE place to be at the moment.

I began at the Pioneer Hide and was soon onto the outrageously stunning breeding plumaged Spotted Redshank that had been present a couple of days. It was distant, on the Brayshaw's bund area of the main lake, but a treat to see this plumage in the county for the first time (spot the black blob below!).


Spotted Redshank, Summer Leys, Northants



















Also in the same general area were 2 Greenshank in wader bay, 2 LRP and 2 Whimbrel on the grazed grass behind. There's something about Whimbrel I really like. They've got real character and I'm always keen to catch up with them in spring. All too distant for photos.


Willow Warbler, Summer Leys, Northants



















I next walked round to the Paul Britten hide to have a look for the Wood Sandpiper in an area of the scrape out of view from the Pioneer Hide. Sure enough, together with approximately 8 Snipe, it was to be seen skulking around some vegetation, rarely out in full view, but decent scope views were had.

Further on towards the feeding station end of the reserve, it was pleasing to find my first Arctic Terns of the year (poor photos below), a group of at least 5, together with a few Commons, providing some specularly close views at times. A singing Reed Warbler also began tuned up closeby, another first for the year.





















A third Greenshank was on Gull Island, as well as a third LRP too. Soon after, I found a male Yellow Wagtail in the 2nd field on the right down Mary's Lane. Here, a 1st-summer male Marsh Harrier then unexpectedly cruised in from over the pylons, over the lane & towards the scrape, topping off an exceptionally good visit!

The next day (Sunday 24/04) started super early as Gareth and I completed the first of several breeding birds surveys in the Upper Cherwell Valley, Banbury. The purpose is to establish what's there on behalf of the council, for a proposed country park project.

After an initial burst of rain first thing, we eventually got it done. Warbler numbers were pretty good and in my particular area I recorded 10 singing Sedge Warbler, 2 singing Lesser Whitethroat & 3 singing Whitethroat among other things. Also seen were a female Wheatear by the Borrow Pit as well as 2-3 Yellow Wags & a Common Sand on nearby Grimsbury Res.




















Thereafter, I had much of the morning and afternoon to myself. I decided to get over to Northampton. With the sun out, I felt it was worth having a look for the Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers at Lings Wood in Northampton. I had an initial fruitless wander around, however after only 20 minutes or so, there began the distinctive drumming of a Lesser Spot! I carefully walked close to the tree, together with a couple of other birders who were there for a look too. It took us ages to see it, but I eventually got to the right angle to see it, tucked into the bend in a branch, all be it, looking into the sun. Here he sat drumming away for a good few minutes, before flying off further in the woods.

























Over the next hour, I had a couple more views and also managed to get onto a second bird which began calling closeby, at the same time the male was drumming elsewhere. I'm pretty certain it was a female, however it was neck-breakingly high up and moving around quickly and so couldn't quite nail it before it scarpered as a dog-walker approached. What a worthwhile visit though!

I had a little bit of time left so I drove over to Summer Leys for a walk along the old railway line, in the hope of getting some closer views of the 2 Whimbrel from the previous day. I was in luck and both birds happily foraged on the grazed grass in front, seemingly oblivious to me. Fantastic!




Also along here were 3 Greenshank, a couple of displaying LRP and an impressive 7 Little Egret in wader bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...