Pages

Friday 22 April 2016

Wood Warbler!!

I was up early Thursday (21/04) so decided to do a circuit of Grimsbury Res before work. It was pretty quiet, but still I persevered and checked out all the usual spots. One such spot was the path along the SW edge of the wood, from which to check the fence through the cattle field for chats.

From behind me I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing, the latter two-thirds of the song of a Wood Warbler!!! I had to hear it again to check I wasn't hearing things. After a bit of stuttering the bird again eventually let out a full burst of song around a minute later. Oh my!

I got straight on the phone to call Gareth and text a few people. While doing this it sang several more times and after finishing with my phone, I was able to get a few brief views of it in the top of a silver birch. It then flitted to the right, out of sight and that was it...never sang or appeared again, despite plenty of searching by me and several others.

Now yes I can't deny I'm super-chuffed to find what appears to be a 1st for the site and a local mega full stop. However there is quite a bit of me that is pretty damn disappointed other patch regulars, particularly Gareth, weren't able to see it too. But that is birding, doesn't always work out as you hope! 

Others birds noted during the day were an additional two Grimsbury year ticks with our first couple of Swifts of the year and yes unbelievably a Coot, a genuinely difficult bird to get on the res!! Both WIllow Tits were also foraging in the wood and several Yellow Wags were about too.






















Today (Friday 22/04) promised much, with cloudy skies and evening rain, however Grimsbury failed to produce yet another big patch bird. Can't be greedy though!

























Was nice to see an Oystercatcher on my lunchtime walk, (my second of the year here) while other decent birds included a couple of grounded Lesser Redpoll, a Lesser Whitethroat, a couple of Common Sand and several Yellow Wags

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...