Pages

Saturday, 10 August 2013

Night Heron

So a young Night Heron had been lingering at Thornton Reservoir in Leicestershire for nearly two weeks and with it being very close to the M1 I finally caved and headed there after work yesterday (Friday 09/08). It was a bird I've wanted to see for years and would be a long awaited lifer.

After getting very useful directions from Dave who went there last week, I headed round the left hand arm of the reservoir. After a bit of scanning I found it, Night Heron! He was roosting in the bottom of a willow. Over the next hour or so it performed brilliantly, sitting right out in the open for the most part, as well as doing a bit of fishing, as well as being briefly pestered by a Carrion Crow. Went away a very happy chap!





No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...