Pages

Friday, 29 August 2014

Marsh Harrier

Monday 25/08 was a bank holiday and I planned to do a bit of birding around Northampton. The weather though dictated big time, tipping it down with rain ALL day!

So I reluctantly headed to the only reserve with any decent shelter, Summer Leys near Wellingborough.

Despite a considerable amount of shoreline and mud, waders were incredibly thin on the ground with the slim pickings consisting of singles of both Ringed Plover & Common Sand.
It then briefly hotted up a bit, with all the Lapwings going up. Out of nowhere a cream crown Marsh Harrier cruised round the left hand edge of the scrape, right towards me!

I managed to get the camera out as quickly as I could and started snapping away however didn't quite get the killer shots of it as it hovered no more than 20 feet from the hide!! Within a minute it cruised off south into the gloom.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...