Pages

Monday, 9 March 2015

Kittiwake!

I hadn't given Grimsbury much of a go recently for one reason or another, however my motivation to keep at it improved drastically after finding a smart male Stonechat during my lunch break on Wednesday (04/03), as well as hearing the Willow Tit & a Chiffchaff and seeing 3 Goosander (1 drake).

On Friday (06/03) I went down, again in my lunch break to have a look at the Otter footprints Gareth Blockley had found in the mud down along the river. In the bright sun I head down the East side of the reservoir and began scanning through a flock of around 20 gulls sat out relatively close-in on the water. Amongst the handful of Black Headed Gull & Common Gulls was something different. With a clean white head, pure yellow bill and small black tips to the wings...an adult Kittiwake! Great find!





















Having stuck the news out, I enjoyed it for a short while, getting a few snaps. It looked pretty settled when I left and was pleased to hear others saw it too later on. Turns out to be the 3rd sire record.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...