Pages

Monday, 1 June 2015

Brown Argus & Wood Whites

On Monday 11/05, I popped into Helmdon Old Railway Sidings on the way home from work to look for Grizzled Skipper. The site has a tiny colony but as yet I hadn't managed to find one.

On this occasion I again failed with the Grizzled however, I was pleased to find my first Brown Argus of the year, a male.























The next day I paid the site a further visit in brighter weather, again after work. A far more fruitful visit, with a single roosting Grizzled Skipper.


















Brown Argus numbers were up to 3-4 and my first Common Blue of the year too.











































Late May sees the emergence of the Wood White butterflies, a real South Northants speciality. Bucknell, Hazelborough & Whistley Woods all hold populations and all are around 10 minutes from where I live in Brackley. I find Bucknell the easiest, seeing them only a short distance away from where I park up.

I made two visits on both Sunday 23/05 & Monday 24/05, both in pretty dreary conditions. Thankfully, on both occasions I was able to find a few, with 2 on Sunday and around 7-8 on Monday. Also of note on the Monday was a brief Painted Lady that landed on a leaf for about a second before zooming off up the ride and into the distance!




No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...