Pages

Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Garganey in the snow?!

Considering we're only a few days away from May, the weather this week has been pretty bonkers, with very cold temperatures & frequent and sometimes heavy, snow showers! 

Yesterday (Tuesday 26/04) was particularly unseasonal and my visit to Grimsbury Res was dominated by a pretty monsterous snow storm! Nevertheless, I persevered! 

The sight of hirundines bombing around the reservoir in the snow was pretty bizarre to say the least, as was a male Yellow Wagtail forgaging in snow-tinted grass! Other than these though, the weather had failed to drop in anything else of note. A sunny gap between the showers persuaded me to have a short wander down the canal for a look over at the Borrow pit, the other side of the M40.




















Here too was quiet...just more hirundines, however I still walked all the way round. With another threatening cloud looming, it was time to head back. However, just before I did, I noticed in the corner of my eye something land on the water that looked pretty small compared to a nearby Coot. Wow a drake Garganey! Wasn't expecting that! I put the word out and watched it for a bit before more light snow / sleet began again and I was getting really cold too. So off home I went, clocking a female LRP on the res, on my way through. 

My good run of birds here continues :)




















No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...