Pages

Friday, 11 September 2020

Garden Lepidoptera & a county mega!

It's been a very decent summer in the garden, for butterflies & moths. I'm gradually honing it into a real hive of activity for wildlife and it's cool to see the effort paying off.




I've done a fair bit of moth trapping where possible, attracting a steady flow of new species, however it was particularly cool to attract something a bit rarer on 01/08, with Northamptonshire's 3rd ever Gypsy Moth. However, I didn't realise the enormity of it, until a day or two later - well after I'd released it!


With the whole Covid malarkey, I've spent a lot more time working from home and as such, I've had my eyes on the garden far more. As a result, I've been chuffed to get THREE new butterfly garden ticks, taking the species total to an impressive 21 species! :

  • A brief Small Skipper on 26/06
  • Probably the most unusual of the three, a female Silver-Washed Fritillary which I spotted looking out the window, while brushing my teeth on the morning of the 17/07!
  • An unexpected Small Copper that lingered on 11/08

As you can see, all were attracted by the decent-sized patch of Verbena we have, showing it is a garden 'must have' if you want to attract butterflies to your garden.

I've also enjoyed a nice range of the commoner species too...

No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...