Pages

Tuesday, 8 September 2020

A memorable encounter

Sunday 05/07 was a blustery old day, but as the sun was out, Em & I decided to take a late morning walk in Bucknell Wood.

I wasn't expecting to see a great deal, however it proved to be an inspired decision to go, as I was treated to amazing and very rare, close-up views (for Bucknell at least) of several immaculate, fresh White-Letter Hairstreaks down on creeping thistles. 

They are a tricky species to see in Bucknell as the fact is, there aren't a great deal of them in there! The classic views are either around the tree-tops or, when you are lucky enough to see one come down, it'll be right in the middle of a large bramble patch.

I felt sorry for Em and she was keen for a walk and there was me holding things up somewhat, snapping away with the camera! But it was a once in a blue moon encounter and one I just couldn't pass up, having hoped every summer to see them this well.

There were a minimum of 5 in total including an amazing FOUR on one plant briefly! I questioned in my mind why today were they showing so well, as it certainly wasn't the norm. I wondered whether the strong winds were a factor in drawing them down, avoiding being thrown about in the treetops?




They were also joined by a very fresh Purple Hairstreak too - another infrequent visit from the treetops...



No comments:

Post a Comment

A big patch tick and Autumn Mothing

Summer migrant birds abruptly dried up by the end of September, as they take on their journey south to their wintering grounds. We now move ...