Pages

Monday 7 July 2014

Norfolk

It's been ages since I was in Norfolk so on Sunday (22/06) I headed over. Originally earlier on in the week I'd planned to catch up with the long-staying Spectacled Warbler at Burnham Ovary. Sadly it moved on mid week but not to worry, there was still plenty to be seen and also planned to meet up with my mate Kieran too!

Thought I'd start at Titchwell, purely to get some good photos of some common birds. The place as always in mid-summer was teeming with life with in particular loads of breeding Avocet as well as at least 6 Red Crested Pochard.




















There was also a Spoonbill on the Freshmarsh, at least 3 distant Spotted Redshank in smart black breeding plumage and at least 6 Little Tern offshore. Other than that there was little else other than the usual fare.

Before heading east to see Kieran, I popped into Choseley Drying Barns to look for Corn Bunting. It wasn't long before I found a singing male opposite which posed just nicely!
























After that Imet up with Kieran over in Holt. He then gave me a mini tour of a few local specialities. First up was Kelling Heath for Silver-Studded Blue, what we be a new butterfly for me. After a good old wander up, down and around we came across several near the level crossing, wahoo! In the end got some great views of a couple of stonking looking males. After this and nearly treading on a female Adder crossing the path, we headed on to Holt Country Park.





















At Holt CP Kieran was keen to find me a Broad-Bordered Bee Hawkmoth and luckily it wasn't long before we had one wizzing around a favoured spot of theirs near the car park. Another new one for me! After some manky, Birds-Nest Orchids and several fresh White Admiral butterflies, Kieran took me on to a site near Sheringham to see the rare Lesser Butterfly Orchid which he'd first seen that morning.

















We tramped around a few boggy tracks but eventually found it. Not really a plant man but have to say it was a pretty cool looking thing!






















Finished the day checking the pools just west of Salthouse. Not much about but some great views of a couple more Avocet. Brilliant day and thanks again to Kieran to showing me around!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...