Pages

Sunday 20 July 2014

Purple Emperor!

After last year's incredible luck with Purple Emperor in Bucknell Wood, I'd been hoping for a repeat performance this year.

So on Tuesday (01/07) I had a day off work and so I decided to spend the whole afternoon there. My luck however, appeared not to be with me and despite a lot of searching around the best areas, there was not even a hint of an Emperor.

There was plenty of things about with a surprise in the shape of my first Marbled White there, 2 Purple Hairstreak, several Wood White, Silver-Washed Fritillaries, White Admirals, a Brimstone and all the other common stuff.

Then about 16:30pm I had the tantalising view of a male Purple Emperor circling me, cruising around the path, before shooting off up and over the canopy. Was dead pleased to see it but was disappointed it had no intention of stopping.
Some half an hour later though my luck well and truly changed as it or another male cruised down and actually tried to land on my head before shooting off somewhere again. I waited a few minutes and eventually it came down and settled on the path...YES!!



















For the next half hour to 40 minutes it became an immovable object feeding away happily before even moving onto my finger where it began feeding on the salt on my skin. Bloody brilliant to enjoy such great views despite the fact that their numbers at Bucknell are pretty small.




























Was very pleased that Dennis McQuillan, also from Brackley then turned up at the perfect time and he was then able to enjoy his first ever Purple Emperor!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Tenerife

Back from a very sunny, family holiday in Tenerife, 17/03 - 22/03. If time permitted, I was keen to get round to see as many of the endemc b...